Monday, January 12, 2009

Plateau Hell

So, I've been sticking to my normal exercise routine (30 mins moderate-to-high tension biking +15 mins of weights +15 mins abs/lower body strengthening), consuming between 1,200 to 1,500 calories a day. However, my weight stopped dropping right before Thanksgiving. While I'm glad I maintained and didn't gain poundage over the holidays, I am a bit frustrated by this stagnant period.

The internets tell me that I've got to step up my exercise game if I want to lose more weight again. I could drop my calories, but I'm not so sure that's a healthy option. Dropping the calories below 1,200 might mess with my metabolism and even trick my body into slowing down and storing more fat. Right?

Well, anyway, my game plan is to pump up the sweat factor. So, here's my new routine, bumped up from 5 days to 6 days a week, which I began in earnest last week:

1. 50 minutes biking (or other cardio);
2. 20 minutes of new abdominal exercises. I'm using the Spark People ab workout (15 minute video, with about 10 minutes of actual exercising), and run it through twice;
3. 15-20 minutes of new lower body workout exercises for the thighs, butt and glutes. These are some of the silliest-looking exercises, but my ass is on fire so they must be working.
4. 20 minutes of weight lifting. I alternate different arm muscles every other date, 4 sets each (about 15 reps, then 12, 10, & 8). I haven't added more weights (I'm lifting about 12 lbs right now), but I have added reps and one more set to my triceps routine to tighten up those bat wings.

Next weigh in is Wednesday. Oh man, I hope this does the trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment