Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Wednesday Weigh-In: 4/22/09

We're back in business. Scale said 161.2 lbs, which is a little less than a pound down from last week. Not a groundbreaking loss, but it sure ain't a gain either. I would be lying if I said I wasn't grieving a little over the loss of my alien baby. Oh, what could have been.

The running is on hiatus for another week to see how my knees are doing. Yesterday as I went up the stairs, my right knee had me vocalizing pain. Bobzilla thinks I need to stop because it's too high-impact and should stick to the recumbent bike. He also forgets how stubborn I am.

Anyway, to compensate for the loss of the intense runner's workout, I've upped my bike time to an hour and have increased the intensity on the interval training mode program. This means the tension cycles through from low to medium to fuck-you-high every 3.5 minutes, and I push on the high tension to maximize the workout. I've done this for two days and it seems to work swell. I get my heart rate up pretty good without going into heart-attack territory and I'm sweating about as much as I am when I run for 40 minutes.

You know, I never stopped to think what my goal weight should be. In response to my frustration at another 150's fail, Bob ominously suggested this morning, "Maybe your body is telling you this is where you need to be." See, I think I could still stand to lose another 10-15 lbs. But I'm at a weight and size I have never been at for the last 15-20 years, so perhaps my perception is a bit off. I dunno. I'll just keep trying and see what happens.


9 comments:

  1. Why not try this "happy weight" calculator & see what it comes up with:

    http://www.self.com/calculatorsprograms/calculators/happyweight

    ReplyDelete
  2. Camevil,

    Sorry to hear about those knees. Running can no doubt be tough on the knees and body overall. I too have cut back because it hurts my bulging disc in my back. Cut back for awhile like Bobzilla says or maybe do it one-two days per week when you start feeling better opposed to 4-5. Good to hear you increased the time and intensity. The intensity will really get the calorie burn up. Don't get down in the dumps. You may be at a plateau, but more weight will come off when you are not thinking about it and least expect it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bah! The "P" word! BAH!!

    But, yeah, I was already thinking the same thing. Just gotta suck it up and amp things up. God, I do miss running though. It's supposed to be sunny and beautiful the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lee this happy weight calculator is sweet! I got mine :) thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man listen to your knee! You are going to jack it all up otherwise, not be able to exercise at all, and gain weight, all cause you're stubborn!

    Get a mini trampoline! You could jog without hurting it! THE URBAN REBOUNDER! (they should pay me)

    Congrats on the loss!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, totally be careful with the knee. If you overdo it and mess it up forever, you might never be able to run again - and that would be so sad. (Not for me, I hate running.)

    Bobzilla might be right about where your weight "wants" to be. I have a weight that my body keeps coming back to. I can go significantly below it, but it always creeps back up and lands right back there. And, like you, it's 10-15 pounds more than where I want to be. But with the way you are working out and eating well, I think you could just ignore the scale altogether. It will all come together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, shoot. I was planning to ride your coattails to fame with the AB. (Happy for the loss anyway.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The moe I read and learn, the more I see where about a pound a week is the right amount to lose, so you are doing great! And I'm not jealous ::insert green frowny face::, really. I'm with Ms. JB--not a runner. Tried it, but too much jarring for me!

    Lee, love the calculator!! It confirms my goal is exactly where it needs to be!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You guys are awesome.

    And the calculator is a nifty tool. It also confirms I could stand to lose another 15 lbs.

    ReplyDelete